Monday, September 21, 2009

BYU -- I Do!

I understand why there is such a pressure to get married here. The church is centered around families, therefore we're encouraged, nay pushed to date, get engaged, and get married. It's all very subtle, the church's influence on that aspect of BYU student life. At first glance, it's simply the sheer numbers of people that are in relationships, of both the permanent and transient variety. But when a member of the stake presidency spends three-quarters of a lesson that was supposed to introduce the stake theme talking about how guys need to ask more girls out without batting an eyelash...well, the root cause is found. These "subtle hints" create a culture where everyone feels like they need to be in a relationship as soon as they become sophomores, if not as soon as possible. If they're not, there's something wrong with them. If they're not married by the time they graduate...there's next to no hope.
I do admit that, if given the opportunity, I would get married. I'm sure I'd be very happy. I'm not going to go jumping into any relationships with jerks, though. Too many people here succumb to the pressure by marrying someone they hardly know. Yes, sometimes it is "right," but nine times out of ten they've worked themselves up into "love" with someone they barely know. Some of these marriages work out with lots of effort and God's help, and some of them don't. They mix up the Spirit and love, or they simply are completely different people after they're married.

Dear God, don't let that happen to me. I'll do my best to not let it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment