Monday, November 23, 2009

Samwise Gamgee

My roommates and I have been watching all of the Lord of the Rings since I got them in the mail the other day. Before this, I'd never really liked Sam for some reason, but watching it this time I started to come to respect and admire him, especially for his line at the end of the third movie, as he and Frodo are trying to climb Mount Doom when he says to Frodo: "Well, I can't carry it [the ring] for you, but I can carry you!" That line really struck me this time. Sam was a perfect friend to Frodo, sticking with him through everything, even when Frodo was making decisions that Sam knew were bad for the both of them (keeping with Gollum for so long). Sam supported all of Frodo's decisions, following him to help Frodo with the hardest thing he would ever have to do: carry the ring to Mount Doom and destroy it. Samwise Gamgee is one of the most unselfish characters ever written. He is completely honest and loving to Frodo, even when Frodo is rude and selfish in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment