Sunday, July 25, 2010

Creativity

After reading other people's blogs (namely my two BYU friends'), I have discovered that I'm not very poetic. I do find beauty in simple things, and I would rather relax in the shade on a warm day than sit inside, and I'm painting a picture.....but my soul is not artistic. Most people seem to associate talent in the arts will creativity, but I am here to tell you that this is fallacious. Yes, fallacious.
My entire life, I've been pretty darn good in music, writing, and art. I can sing like a lark, write like Cummings, and paint a rather life-like portrait. Well, almost. The thing is, people expect creativity to automatically come with these gifts. Experience and headaches have shown me that I cannot write a song. I've written some lyrics before...but they're not worthy of sharing. Believe me. And I paint from pictures. People like Whistler are geniuses to me. I have two ideas on why creativity might be tied to artistic talent in most people's minds:
Creative people are generally drawn to the arts. If they're not drawn to the arts, they're usually steered there. The arts are the perfect outlet for creativity, though most other areas benefit greatly from creativity. The arts embody creativity...right?
Also, the arts and creativity and you know, all the cool stuff in life, are tied to right-brain activity in popular culture. This isn't actually completely true...but if most people think it so, then it must be. Right? I tend to use both sides of my brain equally, at least according to a quiz I took on Facebook once.
The thing is, I have an analytical, technical mind. There's a reason I love math! I suppose it is a kind of creativity, just not one associated with my more...noticeable...abilities. The thing is, creativity isn't really something I miss. Sure, I wish I could write a song about my feelings or even just memorize a song, but I can enjoy the works of others by playing or getting inspired from them.
To quote one of my favorite movies that I watched last week, "the receptive nature of the creative facility just astounds me."

1 comment: