Friday, July 22, 2011

To Boldly Go Where No (wo)Man Has Gone Before


When I was in sixth grade, I got my first C in a class - Life Science. This was surprising not only in its novelty, but also because, well, I read the textbook. Cover to cover. In one night. At twelve years old, I thought it fascinating! I honestly have no idea how I managed to bomb the final, but I did. Regardless of my scholarly failure, I got it into my head that I was going to become a microbiologist/botanist and terraform Mars. I don't really know where I even heard of terraforming at that age, but then, the internet was and is a goldmine of random information.
I eventually moved onto bigger and greater dreams, such as fashion design and choir directing, but I still think that would be a fascinating career. I love space, but I struggled with mitosis and meiosis a little more than I should have.
Now. I also have had another dream. This one, if given the chance, I would leap at.
Wait for it...
For many years, I have wanted to be a colonist. This may seem strange to you. "Colonist?" you say; "like...a pilgrim?" And to you I say nay!
Sorry...I got a little carried away.
Anyway, in the episode I was watching of Star Trek: the Next Generation today, Captain Picard explained to an alien that the Federation places colonists on planets in order to found new societies. This is the colonization I mean: traveling to an unknown, remote land to found a new society.
I would need a lot more preparation; one doesn't exactly become like the founding fathers overnight. But just imagine the opportunities! To build one's own home, town, and society. To start over from scratch in the unknown, and experience the kind of challenges one doesn't exactly see while sitting in Parker, Colorado. A hard life, but so incredibly fulfilling. Just thinking about it makes me excited!
Sadly, there aren't very many opportunities for that sort of thing on Earth anymore - but that's where it ties back into my original dream. I would give almost anything to be a colonist to another planet, so long as I get to take my loved ones with me.
Until then, I suppose I just keep finding happiness here on Earth...unless you know of a way to major in colonization in college?

No comments:

Post a Comment