Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A place to call my own

For most of my life, I've believed that I should have been born in a different time period...maybe a few centuries ago. I would have been a rather accomplished young woman in most time periods, with my varying interests and quiet disposition...but I'm stuck here.
For the past little while, I've longed for one thing from years gone by: solitude.
I don't mean just going to my room or even being in a house; I mean real, complete solitude. Away from civilization and the world...
There are few places I can think of where the chances of running into another person are almost nothing while not trespassing at the same time. Everywhere belongs to someone, whether an individual or the government. Why can't we have somewhere that belongs to no one? I guess it wouldn't work out in this day and age.
I'm looking for a place...a secluded meadow in a forest, with flowers in the spring. A place where I could go when I just want to escape. A place to stargaze on dark summer nights. A place to find peace on a crisp winter morning, the grass and trees covered with a fresh, undisturbed blanket of snow.
I guess I want my own version of Walden Pond, though I'm not sure I want to spend years there. Rather, days, hours, seconds.
Moments of peaceful stillness.
No cell phone signal.
No fences and signs.
No iPods.
Just...silence. Birds chirping. Deer crunching in the snow. The sound of my breathing.
Just me and nature.
And God.

No comments:

Post a Comment