Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Right Now

Today in my Psychology of Performance class we talked about living in the moment. I'd always heard people talk about that sort of thing before, and I had even studied it. In both my high school senior English class and in my college German class I studied Siddhartha, which is about a Buddhist man's spiritual journey through life. At one point, Siddhartha realizes that he is much happier when he lives in the moment. I always thought that I understood what this meant. I thought I was pretty good at "living in the moment." However, after my class today, I realized what this truly meant. 
What does living in the moment mean? It means forgetting everything else. It means focusing on what you need now, and now only. Most of the time, all we need is oxygen. Sometimes we need some food. It's truly rare that we really need anything else. We only need those things for a moment. When that moment is over, we don't need it anymore. If we don't need it, then why think about it? My mind is constantly full. Most of what I think about, I could think about for half a percent of what I do now and it'd still probably be too much. I dwell. Ever since class ended, I've been trying to resist dwelling. It's hard to live in the moment when you're walking home alone in the dark...but I managed. My thoughts need more organizing than my life, and so I'm doing that. I'm going to be a happier person now, with much less weighing on my mind. Hopefully I'll have fewer hopes for the impossible things I imagine up as well. I can tell that this is going to be good. Live in the now. 
And...as Thomas S. Monson, President and Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said, "Daydreaming of the past and longing for the future may provide comfort but will not take the place of living in the present. This is the day of our opportunity, and we must grasp it."
I think too much. I daydream too much. Because of this, I worry too much. I over think everything. The best thing I could do with my life is stop thinking and just jump. Not blindly...but not with so much caution and fear. In everything I do, it's going to be do or do not. The one thing that's been filling my thoughts for the past six months is going to be a do not. It's over now. I'm here in the now, and I'm here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment