Saturday, October 23, 2010

Weeks

I spent about 178 hours without the internet a few weeks ago. I didn't even turn on my computer. Ok...I did actually go onto my mom's computer once to get a recipe for dinner, but that doesn't really count. I relied a lot on ChaCha for information...which didn't help when I ran out of questions.
Truthfully, the first few days were really, really hard. Every time I was bored, I'd go to get online...but no. On Tuesday I didn't even have access to the internet, which was good. By the end of the week, I was just curious about what I was missing, but I didn't need to get online. Instead...I actually did things.
I went to the library on Monday
Spent the day soul-searching on Tuesday, including a 20 minute, bare-foot walk home when I got locked out of the condo where I was without my keys, shoes, or phone.
I finally painted my room.
My mom's homeschool class reenacted the battle of Gettysburg with squirt guns on Thursday.
I decided to learn how to tune pianos.
Basically, the week helped me learn that the internet, and computers, really need to be more of a tool than a source of entertainment in my life. I rely too much on them.
(I know this is really late...but I've been sidetracked. I'm trying to post old things today that never got posted for whatever reason)


1 comment:

  1. rachael! that is a lot of time without a computer! you are awesome. i dont know if i'd be able to do that. i mean, obviously it's possible but just like you, i think it'd be really hard... i've found myself reading blogs more than i used to when i had facebook... ugh, i thought deleting my facebook would cut down my internet time, but really, i just have to work at staying off the internet and surfing the web etc etc...
    p.s. i laughed at the gettysburg squirt gun battle.
    p.p.s. i was listening to the song you posted and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete