Saturday, May 1, 2010

Home

"Where are you from?"

This is a simple question, easily answered by most. It would never be considered a difficult question by, oh, 99% of the world.

I hate this question. I fall into that less than 1% of the world that doesn't have a hometown. I never know what to say. There are multiple ways I can answer...my favorite is simply "heaven." I usually say something along the lines of "everywhere," but that gets people asking questions. 
I'm sort of from Denver...this is where my family lives, but I only lived here for a year before I left. I don't have friends here, and even though I know Parker like the back of my hand, I really don't feel at home here. Driving around Parker today made me realize how much of a visitor I really am in my family's town. I know Mission Viejo just as well, and that feels more like home to me. And so...I can't say I'm from Parker. 
Sometimes people say that I'm from where I lived the longest. Well...I lived in Utah until I was six. That's the longest by far...somehow I don't think that counts. I'm also not that keen on the idea of telling people I'm from Provo.
Others say that I should claim my favorite place of residence as home - Germany was definitely my favorite, but I was only there for two years in middle school. I don't think I can really claim somewhere I haven't been in six years as home.
So where am I from? Nowhere. If I stay in Provo long enough, maybe I'll start claiming that as home eventually. Except...I'm not from Provo. I'm not from Colorado. I'm not from Georgia. I'm not from Germany. I'm not from Las Vegas. I'm not from Texas. I'm not from Carson City. 

Home is where the heart is...so your real home's in your chest. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha
    Since we are bosom friends, does this mean we are kind of like each others' homes?
    Hahahaha
    I am hilarious. Just kidding. Ahhh. MISSYOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11. Everyone's A Hero
    Music and Lyrics by Joss Whedon
    Performed by Nathan Fillion
    Backing Vocals by Stacy Shirk and Maurissa Tancharoen
    Piano by Danny Chaimson

    It may not feel too classy
    Begging just to eat
    But you know who does that? Lassie.
    And she always gets a treat
    So you wonder what your part is
    ‘cause you’re homeless and depressed
    But home is where the heart is
    So your real home’s in your chest.

    haha. anyway. yes. that is definitely what that means. and you are hilarious. well. ish. miss you toooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw rachael, those lyrics are beautiful.
    also, hahahhaha at "well. ish."
    P.S. I LOVE THOSE PICTURES. AND NEW ZEALAND. AND MEN FROM NEW ZEALAND. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It's only the first verse...it's pretty great. I'm glad you liked the pictures. I knew you would. :P

    ReplyDelete